Sunday 15 January 2017

Paper Towns by John Green

I absolutely love fiction. It's more fun to find your life theories in ridiculous books than in the bundle of teach-me-how-to-live and what-to-do manuscripts!!

A book that lightens my mood every time I pick it over other books to re-read. I know what is coming, I know quotes by heart but then also I will find a new viewpoint and underline it with a smile. 

I guess I find peace in the most bizarre of love stories.

“It is easy to forget how full the world is of people, full of bursting, and each one of them imaginably and consistently misimagined.”

This was the first and only book of John Green I read and I absolutely loved his intellectual and yet simple way of writing. 

"It is hard to leave - until you leave and then it's the easiest goddamned thing in the world."

Love is something that happens to you. You don’t decide or select a right one to have that tingly moment or butterflies. It is more of a disorder, an obsessive compulsive disorder. The more the disorder, the more vulnerable and chaotic life will be because of obsession and how true these lines are that it is not easy to leave but then you got to do what you are supposed to do.

Margo and Quentin are childhood buddies. As they grow and go separate ways, Margo’s life revolves around her choices, her decisions and her failures but Quentin is quintessentially the fool fallen for a diva. 

I also fell for her when she spoke these words at an age when we don't even know what broken means!

"Maybe all the strings inside him broke"

but I also fell for the innocence and vulnerability of Q. Unlike Margo he is the sorted one. He is the perfect boring guy who has all the qualities of a keeper.

"and felt my pulse rising. In through the nose, out through the mouth. In through the nose, out through the mouth.”

and then this comes, probably we all feel this way atleast once in our lives

"now life has become the future. Every moment of your life is lived for the future--you go to high school so you can go to college so you can get a good job so you can get a nice house so you can afford to send your kids to college so they can get a good job so they can get a nice house so they can afford to send their kids to college.”

Do you worry about future this way? I know somewhere inside we all do but what has to happen will happen and there is no point worrying about something  like future which you don't know that will be there or not?


"Nothing ever happens like you imagine it will," 

"But then again, if you don't imagine, nothing ever happens at all."

I know it's too much of quotes to quote but then I loved all of these and that is why I am writing this review.

"From the distance, I mean. You can't see the wear on things, you know? You can't see the rust or the weeds or the paint cracking. You see the place as someone once imagined...you see how fake it all is. It's not even made out of plastic. It's a paper town. I mean look at it. Look at all those cul-de-sacs, those streets that turn in on themselves, all the houses that were built to fall apart. All those paper people living in their paper houses, burning the future to stay warm. All the paper kids drinking beer some bum bought for them at the paper convenience store. Everyone demented with the mania of owning things. All the things paper-thin and paper-frail. All the people, too. I've lived here for eighteen years and I have never once in my life come across anyone who cares about anything else that matters."


With all these quotes in first few pages of the book, the curiosity built that how Green will defend a character like Margo? It is a series of events and incidents that are responsible for actions and reactions of human species. She was ‘the lady’ of the book - The Hero. I wanted to believe that something was coming to validate her actions and reactions. That destructive mind with that sort of wisdom had to be supported by a very strong case..


Ending. It really saddened me, not because Q and Margo could not end up together (don't worry I haven't spoiled it for you, ending is a bit complicated so go and read without thinking that I shared the ending) but because I couldn’t sink in the reason thoroughly. It wasn’t intense like the way I expected it to be. I re-read the last few pages, again and then again, it was disappointing. The whole book was such an easy read then why such a chaotic and confused ending. A girl who is referencing the finest literature and poetry could have had a better reason to defend her beliefs.

Though I wouldn't rate it as more than an average book but go for it if you don't want to read anything extraordinary. It is a feel good book.

Last thing, this book lead me to watch the movie based on it and it was one of the most disgusting thing that could have happened to a work like this one! So, don't you dare watch the movie and comment on the book!!

Happy Reading :)


No comments:

Post a Comment