Sunday 28 May 2017

A long weekend in Goa - Perfect beach holiday


The endless stretch of tall green palms all around the Mandovi river spell-binding me with the very first look of Goa from the window of aircraft. It wasn't my first but the city never failed to overwhelm.
















I was planning to unwind and end my year on a high note and a beach lover like me was not able to think beyond Goa. Goa is like a perfect destination for vacation every year. No matter how many times you have seen it before, gives you an equal amount of satisfaction by the end of it.
Sitting at the beach and doing nothing but just turning the pages of the book or lazying around with food and drinks is totally my kind of thing. Actually, it's a thing for all !

No Ola or Uber in Goa

I was travelling with one of my friends from Mumbai. We both were over-excited and we knew that journey and trip was going to be awesome. 

At airport we checked for our options to reach hotel. A green board just before the exit displayed the rates of taxi from airport to renowned beaches and drive from airport to hotel in Calangute was costing us around Rs 1000. I was surprised that Ola or Uber has not made their way to a tourist city like Goa. Though I enjoyed my ride from airport to hotel but I felt it was a bit overpriced.

So, next time hotel to airport rides will be bargained in hotel package only!

Check news of the city planning to visit


On our way to hotel, driver informed us about the upcoming elections in Goa and code of conduct imposed in Goa since first week of January. I didn't realize that how it was going to affect my vacation considering that I was not in Goa for alcohol or late night parties but by end of the day I surely learnt that the whole city was going to shut down by 10 PM every day! I didn't travel so far to get inside the hotel or room by 10 PM. Felt like too much of good governance! A city which brings most of the tourism earnings of a country should not be dead on any day of the year unless informed in advance on their site for the tourists from abroad or within the country.  Dirty Politics!

North Goa vs South Goa
While planning our vacation, we had to decide whether we were going to stay in North or South Goa. North Goa consisting of famous trio of Calangute, Anjuna & Baga is the party center and swarming with the tourists at any time of the year whereas South Goa has more gentle and serene beaches like Colva, Palolem and Agonda. 

I would have loved to stay and relax at secluded beaches but safety always mattered more than comfort. It's Goa and safety should not have been a concern but roaming at the secluded streets and beaches didn't sound like a good idea for two girls on the prowl. I get into trouble any which ways and secluded beaches and less people sounds like a welcome message for my jinxed existence. So, I and my friend mutually decided to stick to North Goa.



Hotel 19 Bello Cabana

Located right at the heart of Goa and Calangute, this hotel was the best thing that happened during this trip. It wasn't just the beautiful cottage but the whole experience was best in class. I absolutely loved the view from my room.
Resort Manager - Chandrashekar was very polite and and ensured that the two of us had a comfortable stay as well he got us the best of deals for rented two wheelers and taxis.
We learnt from the hotel staff about a short walking route to the beach and it made our sunrise visits easier. Finding a peaceful corner in Calangute was a dream impossible but we got it as this route takes you to the one corner of the beach.
  



Viewing the breathtaking sun rises and sets at Goa, I wanted to enjoy a variety of food options available at Goan shacks. Though I don't prefer Portuguese or Konkani food as such but its influence was palpable in any meal of the day around at shacks and most of the times we ended up filling ourselves with varieties of drinks. I loved my mornings in Goa when I and my friend used to just end up at a new cafe on our way to shacks and had never ending cup of coffee to wake us up.

Search for perfect Breakfast
I wanted to sip my cup of coffee in one of those huts that caught my eye on the way out from hotel. Mango Grove, Fisherman's cove, options were like never ending. My first two breakfasts were here only to realize that they give preference to foreign tourists over Indian ones. No matter how rich or how much money you can leave as a tip. Their first preference were foreigners and while you are there, they will ensure you feel a bit left out at least once. So, getting my lesson I ended up at a not so famous restaurant in the same line and ensured I was treated like the I am the only customer they will have in a day :D 

Lounge hunt for evenings
We were at the mercy of government circular of code of conduct but nevertheless we had our early dinners at St. Anthony's in Calangute, Cafe Lilliput in Anjuna and Club Cobana ;)

St. Anthony's - Best dinner of my trip. Karaoke night was on and I was with my two girl friends. We danced like crazy and drank and ate like beggars until our other friends joined us.

Cafe Lilliput - We landed here on our first evening at midnight after dinner at St. Anthony's. Place was almost dead with just one light on and rest shut but we still had a wonderful time taking a walk alongside the sea shore, lost in the beauty of stars it was a peaceful end to a beautiful day...

We came back to this place once again on one of our following evenings and it was crowded like hell and experience was opposite of the first one.

Club Cobana - I absolutely hated this place and hated the person selling tickets at counter!! 

One thing that defined this club to me was it's absolutely inefficient mismanagement. There was only one person at counter selling tickets and he was charging everyone according to his mood swings.  I couldn't see a single smile on his face during my one hour of waiting there, only smirks and that also annoying ones. If you think you can arrange for tickets in advance, you will still end up waiting in queue to get security check done.

Again once inside, you are lucky if you don't sweat because if you do - finding a space near fan is no less than a war itself among sweaty people. Oh yes, and how can I forget the war you have to win to get a pizza you are paying for or drinks which are free of cost.

My sympathies are with you if you have already bought the tickets and ALL THE BEST if you are still planning to pay a visit to this club :)

Chinese Garden Restaurant
This small dream like restaurant caught my attention on the very first day and I wanted to try this place. I had been here in one of my trips before and my friends drooled on the host at that time. This place lost my interest when I didn't see that guy who served us last time and I wish their service now was 1% of their ambience. It was such a disappointment!

Sightseeing 
From archives
Riding a scooty was another experience altogether. It felt as if I was back in my college days. We had plans to cover atleast one of the forts in Goa so we decided to see the sun set at Chhapora fort. Our google maps were not working and we were half way to the fort when maps started working only to realize that we were getting close to Aguada and not Chhapora. Chhapora was in totally different direction. It was little disappointing and as sun was about to set and I didn't want to waste a sun set on driving so we decided to drive upto Aguada only. 


  

Own a swim suit

We are born in a conservative culture where not every woman is comfortable wearing a swimsuit. But Oh Man! Man yourself up. Don't just remove your pants and go into the water because you want to do it. Buy and wear swim shorts before you jump into the water to take take that dip. 

Be honest about your body, wear only what suits you, don't go by emotions and trust me you look much more presentable in a public beach wearing shorts that are closer to your knees. Don't go by the shorter the sexier rule, it's actually exactly the opposite.

Scene at any of the beach was no less than this picture

It was more horrendous with uncles and their protruding tummies strolling on the beach with shorts shorter than the shorts of the boys above :/

GO Shopping
The best thing about my Goa trip is the amount of random stuff I picked from there which I can't wear outside Goa. It gives me abundance of short term happiness but of course I regret buying all of them once I reach back home. This time it was different. I didn't let the vendors fool me in buying everything. Things I did buy were a bit different from my regular retail purchases :)

1) Sweetest takeaway - Kunda
One of my friend got this gift pack of a sweet from Belgaum. Within 15 minutes I finished the half kg pack. Since then, on whole trip I asked every driver to take me to a sweet shop where I can get this but I was told I will get this one only in Panjim. On my way back to the Airport, we stopped at the Panjim market and bought 2 Kgs of it and it was finished in one day!
Be kind enough to bring some for me too in your next trip!!

2) Footwear at Saturday Night Arpora Market
I got two sandals from Arpora Market and they were totally worth it. Don't forget to buy those magnet stickers and coffee mugs with Goa sceneries as memoir for your friends.

3) Swim wear from Candolim/ Calangute roadside stalls
Road side stalls near Fisherman's Cove and other hotels have very pretty swim suits. Apart from the ones hanging outside, some of them have really good collection inside.

4) Alcohol
Savor it! Save it! King's Beer or Feni, make the most of it ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment